SHC Search

Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Other repairs...

There were a bunch of other things that needed some repair on the truck. The radiator was not original, nor did it fit the truck at all. The top inlet had to be relocated, because the radiator hose was so twisted it was hardly flowing. I took it to the radiator repair shop, and eventually they got it right. I custom made my own overflow tank from a bottle of Jack Daniels, and that will do for now.

I had plenty of issues trying to tune up the pickup, so a new points conversion kit was in order. While I was at it, I also replaced the Rochester Monojet with a new rebuilt carb, and constructed a non-existent crankcase ventilation system. There was no PCV, and the engine like to diesel a bit when shut down. Now that I installed that and re-timed it correctly.

There were  few things that needed attention: no gas gauge sending unit, wiper motor jammed up and left on (motor was practically bunt out), no door locks, no door handles, no bolts holding in the hood vent. These were all easily fixed, and gave me time to get acquainted with the truck.

I did find that the billet aluminum steering column drop was a bit too low for me, so I fabricated up a new one that kept the column closer to the dash and provided more leg room. Now I am just waiting for my new (used) 1955 BelAir wheel to arrive, and to see if I can mount that up to replace the current wheel that is too small, AND only held to the steering shaft with 5 small allen bolts on the wheel center cap. I am not digging that at all.

No comments: