SHC Search

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Air Ride Pickup

The first day the truck was home from Texas, and I already ripped the bed off of the back to figure out how the air ride was wired and set up. The entire wiring system for the air compressor was done incorrectly, so I spent a day or two re-doing that. Once that was done, I moved on to the brakes, or lack thereof. As you can see from the pic, the rear brakes were not even working at all. I was able to figure out (through a few trips and return trips to the auto parts store) that the chassis was a 1990 S-10, which is important because the brakes change after 1991. Then while I was rotating the axle, I heard a sound like a grinding Gatling gun from the rear end. Oh great! After pulling the rear cover off, I discovered the spider gears were very loose, but they were not actually the issue. The carrier was worn, giving the spider gears too much play. So I called up Randy's Ring and Pinion for some much needed replacement parts. At some point in the process of playing with the bed body, brakes and rear end, I discovered that the entire rear end was installed about 7/8 of an inch too far to the left. I went over to ACE to put it on the lift and fix that. Chris, Zach and I cut out the rear, and re-welded everything in the correct place. On to the next issue....

No comments: