SHC Search

Sunday, August 16, 2009

What it takes to paint it black...

You really want to know what it takes to paint a car black? Aside from the money, and years of body work and paint experience? It takes the support of family, friends and neighbors who put up with you as you attempt the most ridiculous task in the history of automobile restoration. If I can pull this off without killing myself or someone else, it will be a miracle.

I set aside the weekend to get the car final sanded, masked and prepped the garage for paint on Saturday morning. I had all of my materials (or so I thought), and the weather was just right (again, so I thought). I even had time to go to a movie on Friday night....so I could just finish up the masking in the morning, right?

Well, the morning came and I forgot to sand the small pieces like the valance and headlight extensions, so I prepped them and masked them and got ready to paint, By this time, it's Saturday afternoon, the humidity is down, the temp is up, but I'm already committed to paint today. I suit up and spray... what a mess! Nothing is flowing right or laying flat. There are a ton of 400 grit sand scratches showing in the black basecoat that are not hiding at all. There is also a big spot on the passenger side where some kind of contaminant is fish-eyeing the paint. I stop after two coats of base to figure this all out.

I realize that I have the wrong reducer for the shop temp, which my mis-calibrated thermometer once fixed is telling me is almost 95 degrees. I was using the mid-temp reducer for 70-80 degree days, when I needed the high temp reducer (which I am out of). I now have a new digital thermometer, and a Chevelle that has been
sprayed with two coats of base, and then sanded down with 600 wet to remove the orange peel and sand scratches.

Of, by the way, my neighbor Tommy hooked me up with some excellent bumpers and other goodies from is Chevelle. Thanks pal!

No comments: