SHC Search

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Goodmark hood...not so good.

The Chevelle came with the stock hood (in excellent condition) and a brand new Goodmark Cowl hood (minus the actual cowl induction opening). So, of course I opt to install the cowl hood because it looks mean. The problem is that the edge near the drivers window wasn't rolled correctly from Goodmark, and it hit the fender BIG TIME!. If it was my purchase, I would have sent it back, but since I got it with the car, that isn't an option. After a bit of thought, I decided to cut the side edge with a Dremmel and make a very thin cut that would allow me to beat the edge with my body hammer without distorting the entire top of the hood. My idea actually worked! With a bit of help from the kids to take the hood off, and on, and off, and on, and off and finally on again, we got it pretty damn close.

I finished up most of the rough body work today, including the trunk and door jambs, and even had time to give her an oil change. She still had the break in oil in her, but that wasn't any big deal since we haven't gone anywhere yet but up the driveway. I'll need to sand up the headlight buckets and a few trim pieces, then it's time to block her out and lay down some of that new PPG 2K. I hope that it comes out nice and smooth, because now I'm certain we are going BLACK!


No comments: