SHC Search

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Paint!

I did it! The Stingray now has a shiny coat of paint, and I did it in my garage for a few hundred dollars. I started by giving it the basecoat of 1967 Marina Blue, and as can be expected, had immediate problems. The lower doors and hood were terrible, with lots of sand scratches that were were visible. I took the hood off and sanded it down with 600, and then re-shot it again with the base. The doors were also wet sanded down to the primer and re-shot, each with three more coats of base blue. No big deal right....wrong...I spilled about $100 worth of paint when I dropped the gun. Nice job. So I was running out of supplies quickly. What, no picz you say? I was so frazzled, I forgot...sorry. Then I had to lay down the thin line tape for the hood graphic, and by then I was ready for bed.

Wake up the next morning, paper off the entire car and shoot some black down the hood. After removing the paper/tape I found a few areas that needed a bit of a touch up, so I adjusted the spray gun fan to small, reduced the air pressure, and was able to blow in the paint like an air brush. I was pretty excited with my new talent!


So here it is as of tonight, with two medium wet coats of clear, and a ton of dust, runs and bugs to color sand out of it tomorrow.

No comments: