SHC Search

Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Great Weekend!

My garage is covered in plastic, the floor, the walls, the ceiling. my tool box and my parts. So, when Nancy asked me what I was planning to do with the hardtop now that it was finished....I could only think to cover it with more plastic. We wrapped it up, and taped it, but later on I unwrapped it so that the paint could breathe (I really just wanted to feel the smooth glossy finish again, and show it off to any one who might stop by the garage!)

How did I get that smooth shiny finish? Well, it started with some wet color sanding with 1000 grit paper, then on to 1500 grit paper (hmmm...I think I skipped the 1000 grit actually). Then I buffed with the Diamond Cut 2.0 compound, followed by the Finiesse-It. The final step is to buff once again with the Glaze, of course changing pads with each application. I didn't sand the rear valance, I will if I need to later on after the entire car is painted.

The best invention in the garage this week is my home made spray gun holder. I found this store-brand garage organizer (probably designed to hold an ironing board) hanging around the house, and bent it into the perfect shape to hold the spray gun so that I could fill it and set it down between coats of paint.

No comments: