SHC Search

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Driveway Sealer and Natural Disasters

It has been an absolutely crazy week here, and it all started off with a simply little oil change on the 71 Chevelle. As you may or may not know, they have recently removed zinc from most engine oils because newer cars do not require it like my old small block Chevys do. So, I purchase a $20 bottle of special zinc oil additive, 5 qts of oil and get a K&N filter from the local parts store (at and amazing discount of only $2.43!) So, I'm feeling really great about getting a high-tech filter so cheap and getting my "special" oil and treating the Chevelle right.....and then the filter craps out and I get a 4 qt oil slick all over the driveway. I am so aggravated I throw the filter and dent the garage door.....what an idiot. I spent most of the day cleaning up the huge mess which looks like the Exxon Valdez ran up my driveway. You think a oil spot is bad, try 4 quarts. Not to mention that I needed to go and purchase more oil, another filter, and try to find more zinc additive because I still needed to do an oil change.

So, next day or two of cleaning the driveway, results in me filling all the cracks and re-sealing the driveway. I'm feeling good that it is starting to look good (I even get a neighbor asking me who re-did the driveway and if I could fix hers). You know how it always seems to rain just after you wash your car, and you figure that you're jinxed.....well no sooner do I seal the driveway and we have an earthquake. Seriously, an earthquake in New Jersey? No damage to the driveway though, and a few rain free days would be great to help it cure. Of course not, we have the hurricane Irene heading straight up the east coast this weekend, and know I know it's all because I spilled oil in the driveway. Gotta be a connection.

So far the 71 Chevelle is nice and dry inside, hurricane Irene is going to be my true test. I need to get back to work on Zach's 66 Chevelle.

No comments: