SHC Search

Friday, August 19, 2011

71 Chevelle leak

The 71 Chevelle has been driven daily for the past year, and although I continue to work out the bugs, there was one that really annoyed me. The front carpet was wet. Now I know I sealed up the windshield well, and even the fresh air vents, but this was really driving me crazy. Ii crawled under dash, and it was not leaking from the windshield or body seams. The problem was the door sill plates were draining into the car, not out. Every time I tested for leaks in that area, I had the sill plates removed to see better, and once I tested with them in...WOW, here came the flood. I think it is a combination of weatherstripping angles that are making for my "perfect storm". I removed the new carpet and am drying it out in the sun, and will keep an eye on it over the next few rainy days. I also applied some dum-dum tape under the sill with a better drainage system that should keep the floor nice and dry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: