SHC Search

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Car Time Line - The 80's

Even though spring is officially here...the weather has decided not to cooperate. We have been dealing with snow, rain and the cold here still, and as I wait for a few parts, POR-15 paint and the warm weather, I figured I would post a visual time line of my personal cars.
Here is my first car I bought way back in 1986...a 1977 Dodge Charger SE. It had a blown transmission that only ran in reverse, so I was able to get it for $400. It had a 318 c.i. motor, power windows, seats, A/C, and air shocks! I learned a lot with that car, and did my first engine dress-up with some chrome valve covers and air cleaner. I drove this car until we realized it wasn't going to handle my commute to college, so we needed to get something else.


I also bought a 1973 Dodge Charger SE with a 400 c.i. motor for $150 with my pal Eddie. We forgot to get the title however, so we never put it on the road, just beat it up the parking lot of my fathers work lot and
eventually gave it away for free. Ouch! By the way, this wasn't going to get me to college either.

My third vehicle was a 1986 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo that we picked up from the owner of the local pizza shop. I don't think that he could drive a manual, so my father helped my out with the quick purchase. We always had a Jeep in the family, and this was a practically new one....and not our last.

We also had a 1976 Camaro at this time that was my girlfriend's (now wife), with the full 1980s theme of window louvers, Cragers, roses and playboy bunnies etched into the windows....classic!

The last car I purchased during the 1980's was by far my favorite, and my first real muscle car. I think I'll have to devote a separate post to my first Chevelle.

No comments: