SHC Search

Sunday, April 12, 2020

3100 Tailgate Mod

The motorcycles do not fit in the small bed of my '52 Chevrolet 3100 pickup, but I was thinking that if I modified the tailgate, I could work out a solution. Well, look what I found! Some other genius also had the same idea back a few years ago, and since my tailgate isn't perfect anyway, AND a new one is less than $200 from Brothers, I might try this little mod.

My thought is that now I could take the truck out to a few shows or cruise nights with the '42 WLA in the back, which would look cool, and I could save on some much needed garage space too! If I ever needed to haul my bike to a show or a new home, that was an added bonus as well. I asked my friend Cathy if maybe she could help me letter the tailgate, she is a great artist.
The drawbacks would be that I need to make some ramps that I can keep in the bed too, and that I would also need to take the bike out every time I need to refuel the truck, as the gas tank is under the bed, and it lifts up with the linear actuators. I'm going to give this some thought for a few days before I make a decision.

No comments: