SHC Search

Saturday, July 02, 2011

Electric Fan

I noticed the other day that the electric fan in the '71 Chevelle wasn't running, and the motor was definitely hot enough. I checked the wiring, the fan, the relay...ended up being the thermo-switch in the head. So after a useless catalog search at the local NAPA, I just ordered a new one from Jegs. I also hot wired the fan to run with the ignition on, so I wouldn't overheat,, but then noticed it was still working intermittently. WTF! I replaced the relay, thinking that HAD to be it...nope. Only thing left at this point was the ground wire, so I moved it, and that seems to have done the trick. The new thermo-switch came today, so I swapped it in, and I think that we are back in business. I also stopped at Inman Auto Parts and picked up a set of 1979 Cadillac El Dorado rear brake pads for the '71 Chevelle, which eliminated the annoying rear caliper clicking.....for now.

I stripped most of the paint off the '66 Chevelle, and found a few holes where someone used a dent-puller on the drivers door and fender. I'll have to weld them up properly. Just a little bit of paint stripping left to do on the roof and trunk areas. The doors, fenders and quarters are done and ready for the DA.


No comments: